There are some important functions that your new WordPress site needs in order to be ready for posting. Instead of going to school and earning a BS in Software Engineering so you can code them yourself – we use JetPack. It’s a FREE super packed plugin that helps make WordPress sites that are self-hosted (like yours) work like a blog found on wordpress.com. We like Jetpack for 4 main features
- Website Security
- Publicize – Automatic Social Media Sharing
- Email Subscriptions
- Related Posts
But it also does a whole host of other cool things, like lets you “Like” and repost from other WordPress blogs all over the web. That’s 60% of the world’s blogs right there. JetPack comes from the makers of WordPress so we never have to worry about it losing support or no longer working with our blogs.
How to Setup JetPack
- Open a new tab and go to your website’s dashboard. yoururl(dot)bestonlineblogs.com/wp-admin/index.php and click on JetPack your toolbar.
- If you already have a WordPress.com account, click the big green “Set Up JetPack” button.
If this WordPress thing is totally new, then you’ll be making a new account. Press the “No Account?” link.
- Use an email address (your school email is recommended) and make a username and password.
- Jetpack will show you a list of paid plans. You don’t have to, and I don’t recommend paying for it. Scroll to the bottom where you can tell them that the free version will do just fine.
- Then all that’s left to do is approve the JetPack default configuration and you’re good to go!
What You’ll See
Your settings tab in the Dashboard now has a lot of new functions. Each subsection has new functionalities that you can set up. I highly suggest you start with the Sharing subsection and set up Publicize so you can share on social media each time you post.